MSC COVID-19 Policies & Procedures for Tennis Reopening
(June 11) We hope you and your families are staying healthy and safe during these challenging times. Monroe Sports Center is happy to open our doors and provide the opportunity for our customers to resume some sense of normalcy by playing sports as soon as possible. MSC is officially open as of Mon June 8 with several restrictions in order to keep our customers and staff safe. All court reservations must be made by calling 609-426-4000 or emailing email@example.com. Please note that many of these safety measures and policies are subject to change as restrictions continue to be lifted by the governement.
Restrictions & Safety Measures
1. Any staff member or customer experiencing symptoms associated with COVID-19 or anyone who has been in contact with someone with COVID-19 in the past two weeks should not enter the facility.
2. From June 8 - June 21, tennis lessons will be limited to private or immediate family lessons only. There will be no clinics or group lessons allowed, unless all members of the group are within the same immediate family. Beginning Mon June 22, the restriction on private lessons only will end, and group lessons may continue with the full amount of players in your group. If some players in the group are still not ready to begin, the other players in the group may still use their makeups. The number of makeups that each player is entitled to is calculated according to the formula in Policy #2 at the bottom of the page. At the end of the summer, all unused makeups will convert to credit that can be used towards next season's court time or anything else at MSC.
3. During a lesson, it is suggested that only the pro should touch the tennis balls and tennis hoppers. When all the balls from the cart have been fed, the pro should use the hopper to pick up the balls and the player may get a drink and wait for the pro to pick up all the balls. It is suggested that there is no serving during the lesson because that requires the player to touch the ball, but this is not a requirement. Players may also choose to wear a glove on their off hand so they are not touching the tennis balls with their bare hands when they serve. If the player and the pro both feel comfortable serving, you may choose to do so.
4. Open play may be singles or doubles, but we suggest singles only. Customers must bring their own tennis balls or they may purchase them from the desk, but they must take the balls with them when they leave.
5. From June 8-21, court time will be for 50 minutes or 1 hour and 20 minutes only. This will allow customers to leave the court and exit the building before the next customer comes in. Customers should wait in their car until 2-3 minutes before their scheduled time to avoid contact with previous customers. Beginning Mon June 22, court time will return to the full 60 or 90 minute slots, but customers should still wait until the previous customer exits before entering the court
6. Customers will be notified of what court number they are on in advance and the parking lot will be divided into sections, based on what court the customers are playing on. Directional signs will be posted to instruct customers where to enter and exit each court to avoid as much contact as possible. Customers will be instructed to enter courts as directly as possible with the intention of avoiding customers having to walk thru the lobby to get to their courts.
7. As much as possible, court time will be scheduled on the hour on courts 1,3,5,7. Court time will be scheduled on the half hour on courts 2,4,6,8. This will allow less contact between players entering and exiting the court.
8. Parents will be encouraged to drop off older players for their lessons and parents of younger players will be instructed to sit on the court to watch their kids, with a limit of 1 parent/guardian per player. Cleaning spray and paper towels will be left on each court so the pros and customers can wipe down benches & chairs before and after all court time.
9. There will be no demo racquets available.
10. If a stray ball comes onto your court, do not pick it up with your hands. Please use your racquet and/or foot to return the ball to the proper court.
11. MSC staff will be limited to 1 person at a time behind the desk. This staff member will be sitting behind a temporary plexiglass partition and will be suggested to have a mask. The mask should be worn as much as possible, especially when customers are nearby.
12. MSC staff will be responsible for wiping down the lobby tables & chairs as well as door handles and railings every hour. We have stocked up on hand sanitizer and cleaning spray so we are prepared to keep the faciilty extremely clean.
13. Signs will be put on the bathrooms that say maximum 2 people in the bathroom at one time. Also, when we send the court numbers each morning, we will send a reminder that players should use the bathroom at home if possible to hopefully avoid using our public restroom, but that the restroom will still be available.
14. Whenever possible, doors will be propped open so customers can avoid touching door handles.
15. All court time and lessons must be booked in advance and all payments must be made online in advance. We would like to avoid all transactions at the desk if possible. We would actually like to avoid as much contact between customers and staff at the desk as possible. With payments being made online, court assignments being emailed in advance and signs directing players right onto and off the court, players should really have no reason to congregate at the desk.
16. Water fountains and vending machines will be shut down and taped off. Players are reminded to bring their own waterbottles and not share with anyone.
17. Tennis Pros should require payment by Venmo or other electronic platform only to avoid handling cash or checks.
18. Tennis Pros that have a gap in their schedule should either wait in their car or at least limit their movement within the facility as much as possible while they wait for their next lesson.
19. Players must remove all personal items and throw out all trash after play.
20. Walk-in court time will not be permitted.
1. Season courts will NOT automatically be put back in at their same day & time. Customers must call or email to reserve specific time and these makeups may be used at any time on any day, not just in the same price point as your season lesson. For example, if a customer's season lesson is 6-7pm on a Sunday (non-prime time), that customer may book their makeup during prime time at no additional charge. By the same token, if a customer's season lesson is 1-2pm on Sunday (prime time), that customer may book their makeup lesson during non-prime time and there will be no credit given for the price difference.
2. We understand that each family and each player will have a different opinion on when it is safe to return to tennis lessons so there is no pressure for anyone to play before you are ready. However, just because some players in your group may not be ready to play doesn't mean you still can't use your group lesson makeups this summer. Each player in a group lesson is entitled to the number of makeups equal to the number of weeks missed, assuming each makeup is with the same size group as the original lesson. If a makeup is used with a different size group, the following formula will be used to determine how many makeups are being used: Number of Players in Original Group / Number of Players in Makeup Group. For example, if a player in a 3 person group lesson takes a private lesson as a makeup, that will use 3 of that player's makeups. If this particular 3-player group had missed 12 weeks due to COVID, this player could take 4 private lessons to use all of their makeups. In a different example, suppose 3 players in a 4 person group lesson that also missed 12 weeks would like to start playing, but the 4th player is not ready. The 3 players who would like to play could take a 3-player makeup lesson and each lesson would count for 4/3rd's of a makeup. Using this formula, these 3 players would be entitled to 9 makeups and the 4th player who chose not to play would receive credit towards next year's season court balance. If this is confusing or if anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask and we will help you figure it out.
3. ALL season court customers are entitled to ALL of their missed weeks. Most season courts have anywhere from 9-14 weeks remaining, depending on the day of the week and other factors. After converting group lessons into private lessons or other group lessons as in #2 above, it is the responsibility of the customers to schedule their remaining lessons, based on court and pro availability. No customer is required to play right now if they do not feel comfortable. If a customer does not feel comfortable playing yet, they should just not schedule any makeups and those makeups will remain intact until they do feel comfortable again. All makeups that are not used by the end of the summer will automatically be converted to credit that can be used towards next year's season court balance.
4. Summer/Holiday Open Court Rates will apply ($20/hr for members, $40/hr for non-members) for all new tennis court reservations.
5. All 12u, Junior and Adult Clinics are scheduled to resume the week of July 6.
As we all know, there are many different perspectives and risk factors that go into feeling safe during these times. If any customer or staff member does not feel comfortable being at MSC, that is perfectly understandable and you should absolutely stay home until you feel safe. Once again, all makeups will be carried over indefinitely so no money that has previously been spent at MSC will be lost.